Friday, September 7, 2007

Homage to dead games

My memory is filled with hundreds of hours from my childhood playing games on my Super Nintendo. Super Mario World, Final Fantasy 4, Megaman X* they're all classics. Super Mario World Every once in awhile I like to go back and play these games. When I play them I feel the same as I did when I originally played them. Its a very positive feeling. Later I ended up getting a Playstation and there are plenty of memorable games for it that I still sometimes go back and play. The point being I like to go back and play some the older games because it reminds me of my earlier years.


I can go back and play almost any game I have ever played but there are a few exceptions; online only games. There are two games that I regularly played that I can never go back to again Wormhole and Earth and Beyond. For whatever reason the company that created each of these games decided to shutdown their servers and because of the nature of online gaming there is no way for me to play these games without a dedicated server


Each of these games have not only been erased from my life but culture as a whole. Sure there a couple sites out there that still have old articles about these games but eventually that content will rot or the domains will get snatched up by squatters. Those people that still remember the game will eventually forget or die. 100 years from now historians will still be able to insert a semi working cartridge of Super Mario World in a SNES and get a feel for the game, or even load up a rom in a emulator. What can historians do for these dead online games? Nothing. Even if they knew they existed the best they could do is find a old cd and install them and that only applys to Earth and Beyond. As for Wormhole, there never was a CD or a installer it was just a java applet. All these games and any other online game is destined for a end life of rot.


Tank from Wormhole

Thus here is my attempt to delay the inevitable, to stop everyone from forgetting. Here is my Homage to dead games.


Wormhole (Centerfleet)
Fast paced multiplayer space game. Think hardcore Astroids. When the match begins each player is in their own part of space and in the center of the arena are the wormholes that lead to the other players worlds. You can't enter them but the weapons you pick up can. Fly around for a couple seconds picking up random bombs and lasers then come back and lob them into Green's (another player) wormhole. On his side he is likely doing the same thing looking around for weapons to shoot at someone but out of nowhere things are shooting at him and exploding all around him. Lucky for you green wasn't fast enough and slides into a rather large explosion.


The person with the most kills wins, or was it a single death experience? I honestly can not remember. The memory rot has already begun. But what I do remember is that my friends and I had a blast playing this game. We would sometimes stay after school and each grab a computer in the lab and do 4 person free for alls. It was great because the person who just killed you was sitting right next to you. I wish I could go back and play this game again, but alas Centerfleet the company that created wormhole got into the Cellphone game business, they renamed themselves Centerscore. On their website they say that they want to make versions of their old java games for the cellphone. If they ever do remake wormhole, I doubt it will be the same game. Just some expensive brew game calling it self wormhole just to piggy back off the success of their old game, but sharing no relation to the original game.


Earth and Beyond (EA Games)
One of the largest server pulls in the mmorpg business. Overnight EA converted the hours that people had invested into this game into nothing. Players need to remember that the corporations that run these games are motivated by profits. Over time as graphics become outdated and the players start to become bored the population numbers drop. Eventually the costs out way the money coming in through subscriptions. If a game requires more money to run and maintain then it is bringing in then expect the plug to be pulled.

This was such a large high profile discontinuation of an online only game that I would like to hear from the ex fans. If you used to play this game and enjoyed it leave a comment or send me an email telling me your thoughts on EnB. Do you miss the game? Good Riddance? Does it bother you that you can never go back to play it again? I will post your responses in a follow up. If you have a blog I will post a link.

30 comments:

  1. wow, i was number 2 in dis game and i raped omega maverick and kabol, kabul was ranked number 1 LMAO, wow im a fukined legend 10-13 years old of playin it....... i will miss dis game, i think dey should bring it bak to like xbox360 or sumthin DAT SHIT WILL B SIK
    and ill b number1, GG to every1 i raped in WH and f every1 dat had fun, and skullweapon i c u DAWG!, R.I.P. WWW.CENTERFLEET.COM/ WORMHOLE/ BEAST OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...I remember Wormhole.
    Played that a good bit in school.
    Played with you some too if I ain't mistaken.

    Lucas Aylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. someone needs to for real bring wormhole back. that game is straight amazing. I'd buy the disc if i had too. everyone remembers wormhole if they ever played it. that game was tight. bring it back, someone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah great memories.
    i murdered all types of ranks.
    i hated it when i was teamed up by 3000's though
    so gay lol.
    double the work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I used 2 play wormhole back in 8th grade. Ive been lookin fer it fer years now and i just came across this article. It saddens me greatly 2 leran of its demise :( I would pay alot of money 2 get a copy of this game 2 play. Maybe if i got it i could set up a LAN fer it or host my own servers so all u could play with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is something for you who miss THE best mmorpg of all times... Earth And Beyond.
    These guys are in the proccess of bringing the game back to life, and they have come a long way too, via an Emulator Server. A single player version is available for download. And there is a Multi Player Server online, but only for beta testers. Open Beta is planned on going live by helloween.
    www.enbemulator.com

    Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I found this site by some hardcore googling. I, too, was once a player of Wormhole a very long time ago when I was... probably about 9, I think. 2nd or 3rd grade.

    There's a game that kind of mimics the hardcore asteroids feel, but with shinier graphics and some nifty multiplayer (you can draw your own little banners and people put up custom mod servers). Google "continuum subspace".

    I really miss Wormhole, though. I think I may even remember when it went down, but I don't think I caught the gravitas of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, if anyone wants to pump some nostalgia, aim me at glasswalkerkirri .

    ReplyDelete
  9. are you positive that WH is coming back and under what site? centerfleet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember way back in 2001 I believe I used to play Wormhole all the time.It was a great game,simple to learn but a challenge to master.I think they had different rank titles I just don't remember what they were.I just know I spent hours trying to go up in rank.This was no easy task either!Some people had combos and techniques for this game down.

    It could get annoying with all the little fourteen year old spammers and trolls in the waiting room chat but it felt so good to kick said spammers ass in a match.Really fun times.I don't see why some tech savy fan can't make this game from scratch or get the source code.I remember ALOT of people used to play this game.Wormhole brings back good memories,I wish they would release this game again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wormhole was sensational. I reckon that its fanbase has grown exponentially purely because of its demise, and if it came back now it would be an instant hit. Just think about how many more people know about it now from word of mouth over the last few years?

    I loved that game, and I would do anything to play it one more time...

    :'(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh Wormhole. I played that all through middle and high school. Anyone wanna write to centerscore to see if we can get some source?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am quite sorry for reviving an old thread, but once I found the game I’m about to talk about, I had to announce it to others.

    A person, who goes by RJT, recently created a game called Worm Network, this game is somewhat similar to Worm Hole, but it has less power ups. But I feel if we give the creator some type of support he could possibly make this very similar to Worm Hole. I played this game with a few of my friends and enjoyed what has currently been added.

    For those who are interested in Worm Network I suggest checking it out here:
    http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=398845

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wormhole was officially the shit.

    You guys have to know that there is enough support for bringing this game back!!! I'm sure some sort of open-source project can produce a model that we'd all be happy playing again.

    Someone just needs to step up and lead this project. Former wormhole fans are apparently googling this all the time and writing to Center(score). JUST DO IT. Offer to meet with Centerscore officials! Meet with other game developers! (Yahoo maybe? Steam, Ubisoft, etc even?) Use ad revenue as a draw!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some links that might be helpful for those who want to revive this game.

    Centerfleet's own shit
    http://games.centerscore.com/games/wh/

    Coder forum
    http://www.free2code.net/forums/view/topic7306.html?os=0#50162

    ReplyDelete
  16. Word, I am craving that game suddenly, everyday in afterschool, 6th and 7th grade it was straight to the tech lab and straight to wormhole.

    There was also another game we used to play called (I think) Avalanche Tetris and I seem to recall it being made by centerfleet as well, does anyone remember a game like this? It was an online multiplayer tetris where you would play 4 people and you would get power ups and shoot them to the other games. Mad fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wormhole was great. I wish I could still play it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got the original wormhole game running, the only problem is no one will be able to connect seeing as I do not have the server. Perhaps I will shoot out an email asking for the server.

    If I get any word, I'll be sure to say it here first. I will be willing to buy a site if I can get this to work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sent an email out to Centerscore(Centerfleet). Hopefully they will reply with a link to the server, if not, I'll make my own. I also have Wormhole's souce code, I'll make a forum soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll be checking back here for your reply

    ReplyDelete
  21. Centerscore has yet to email me, so I've gone on to plan B, create my own server application. Of course, I am no master of the Java language, but I have been programming since 2003 in several different languages. So I have no doubt this server application will be finished soon.

    I hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wormhole changed my life... too bad its gone. i used to play countless hours

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi RJT

    Great work! ... How's the progress going? Would you be willing to share the source code? Perhaps some collaboration would be helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's awsome news RJT, that you got the game up and going! I'm really interested in playing this game over again. I used to spend 2 hours a day at school playing it. Ahhhh..... the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The game was written in Java, so anyone who is quite good with it will probably get a working version out faster than I can. I am also willing to share the code seeing as I do not own it :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know a good deal of Java and can help with the coding. Just email me at dwk5123@gmail.com and I'll see what I can help do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. damn, I remember playing this when I was like 10 or something, check that out. rank #3 on that list.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a working knowledge of java and have been looking for a reason to beef up my skills. If you are willing please get in contact with me RJT.

    pragan14@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I wanna play avalanche again...

    ReplyDelete