Friday, July 31, 2009

Leaving VPSLink Moving to Blogger and DropBox

Its been quite the bumpy ride moving from my own virtual private server to a 100% blogger hosted blog. Blogger's custom domain support is flaky at best with recommendations across the web to fix issues with it by turning it on and off over and over again. I've also moved all of my files from the files subdomain on vpslink to the free 2G I get at DropBox. So far I have had nothing but positive experiences with it.

The down side of moving off my own server is that all of the google search result listings for my old blog now error out. I also had alot of problems migrating my wordpress export file into Blogger. Each service has their own export/import file format. There are web based tools like Wordpress2Blogger that will convert a wordpress export to a blogger import file but I have had mixed results with doing this.

Now that Google is providing Java support through Google App Engine, I have little reason to continue to pay 40$/month for my own server. I look forward to playing with GAE later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment